Fred S. Goodman was one of the leaders of the first training Institute for YMCA secretaries in 1902 and later principal of the Eastern Association School. In 1902, Fred and has wife, Mary Jeanette Goodman, bought property on Terrace Road and built “a charming rustic camp.” Fred and the family returned to Silver Bay every summer. They had four children. Todd Goodman, like his father and brother Robert, was a lifelong YMCA secretary.
Todd and his wife Maybel inherited the Goodman property and kept it until Henry and Ann Geils bought the house in 1974. They called their place Chipwood. They, too, had a solid claim to the tradition. Hank’s father was an emp at Silver Bay in 1916 and Ann’s mother attended a college conference there at about the same time.
* * *
As you can see in this photo from the YWCA’s Association Monthly, Silver Bay was already famous for ice cream in 1914. Further testimony came from Helen Hutchcraft, a Wellesley graduate, in “The Summer Conference,” from the pages of The North American Student, that same year. She wrote:
“The first year out of college lonely? Yes. But the loneliness is much easier to bear because of the friends found at Silver Bay—friendships formed by long tramps together, jolly good times over college games and ice cream cones, quiet, solemn talks when we spoke from our hearts and prayed together.”
In 1924, we read in The Missionary Herald that at Silver Bay, “it was the usual custom to go to the store for ice cream after the platform meeting.”
Amen to that. However, what of the fabulous Silver Bay ice cream of more recent times? For that, I turn to Paul Nasrani. Paul Nasrani grew up in Hazelton, Pennsylvania, and worked on a farm. His family came to Silver Bay in August, every summer, for a week during which Paul and his sister, Julia, could have ice cream at The Store every night. Paul dreamed of some day making his own ice cream, of creating his own flavors. But, as even the best children sometimes do, Paul instead became the Chief Financial Officer of a company in Manhattan. Fortunately, his love of Silver Bay and ice cream would be his salvation.
In 2001, a friend bought him an ice cream maker. He made so much he had to give it away, which was great news for his friends and co-workers who raved about his ice cream. And then, one fateful day in January of 2003, he was passing through Grand Central Station and saw that an ice cream shop was closing, and auctioning off all its equipment. On the spot, Paul bought their 700-pound batch freezer for ice cream production. He wasn’t sure at that moment how any of it was going to happen, but he did manage to move the freezer, and found a friend in New Jersey who had room for it.
In 2004, Paul left his CFO position behind, took the freezer up to Silver Bay, and began making ice cream at The Store. He worked with Silver Bay to create internship positions which brought international students majoring in dairy or food sciences at Penn State and Cornell University to Silver Bay to spend the summer making ice cream and developing new flavors. He started a program for children, helping them design and make their own ice cream flavors with a hand-cranked machine.
“What better place than Silver Bay to make and sell ice cream,” he told the Lake George Mirror in 2008. “The Silver Bay Store made and sold its own ice cream in the 1940s and the 1960s, but not since then. But it seemed like it should be a natural part of the Silver Bay experience.”
In 2006, Paul found the Boice Brothers Dairy in Kingston, N.Y., nicely located in the Hudson Valley between New York City and Silver Bay, and began producing his ice cream on a commercial scale, year-round, under the banner of the Adirondack Creamery. The all-natural ice cream is made with milk from hormone-free cows, delivered daily from eight family farms, and includes cream, sugar and eggs, flavored with vanilla, chocolate, nuts and fruits.
In 2009, Adirondack Creamery ice cream received kosher certification. Packaged in pints, the ice cream is now available in stores from Lake George to New York City. In 2010, another brand of ice cream was served at the Silver Bay Store, but one can hope, perhaps even pray, for the return of Adirondack Creamery in 2011.
* * *
Visit the Adirondack Creamery’s website at www.adirondackcreamery.com.
On August 30, 1907, at Silver Bay, a young man named George Edmund Haynes delivered the annual report of the Colored Men’s Department of the International Committee of the YMCA. Haynes had been working as a secretary of the Colored Men’s Department, tasked with visiting Black colleges in southern states, encouraging students to achieve scholastic excellence, and helping Black colleges set high academic standards.
The Colored Men’s Department was formally organized in 1890, but the YMCA had been reaching out to African-Americans since before the Civil War. Haynes was an apt representative. He held a B.A. from Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee, and an M.A. from Yale. While studying at the University of Chicago during the summers of 1906 and 1907, he became interested in the social problems affecting Black migrants from the south.
In 1912, Haynes earned a PhD from Columbia University. While studying, Haynes was instrumental in merging three groups into what is today known as the National Urban League; he served as its executive director from 1911 to 1918. Haynes also established the Association of Negro Colleges and Secondary Schools, and served as secretary of that organization from 1910 to 1918. He was a professor of economics and sociology at Fisk. While on leave from Fisk, from 1918 to 1921, he worked at the United States Department of Labor on matters of racial conflict in employment, housing and recreation.
In addition to teaching and publishing, Haynes surveyed the YMCA’s work in South Africa in 1930, and in other African nations in 1947. Deeply committed and apparently tireless, George Edmund Haynes continued to teach, write and work for social justice until his death in 1960, at the age of 80.
“The meeting place of this council was at the rarely beautiful Silver Bay on the far-famed Lake George. All the varied surroundings tended to make study and pleasure blend naturally. Students, clergymen and business men, teachers, matrons and maidens, were intent upon making the occasion memorable. The hotel was eminently suited to such a convention, with its proprietor in full sympathy, and doing all that was possible to be done to make the gathering a success. The services of song conducted by the host, Mr. Silas H. Paine, will long be remembered…
“A delightful spirit of fellowship and Christian communion pervaded the place. The afternoons were devoted to recreations. It was both amusing and refreshing to see old men and young; ministers, missionary and business men, with the ladies not a few, in the ball games, rowing and swimming matches, tennis and golf games. Each one seemed determined to make all have a happy time. Altogether it was a happy occasion, which the great majority hoped might be repeated in years to come.”
— From “The Council at Silver Bay” by C.H.D. in Light and Life for Woman (1901) published by the Woman’s Boards of Missions